PM: Homeowners to be compensated; restoration and fixing of affected areas to be borne by federal, state govt and Petronas

PM: Homeowners to be compensated; restoration and fixing of affected areas to be borne by federal, state govt and Petronas

PETALING JAYA, April 1 — Compensation for residents in residential areas affected by the gas line fire incident at Putra Heights will be borne by the government and Petroliam Nasional Bhd (Petronas).

Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim made the assurance after a briefing by authorities during a site visit at Jalan Putra Harmoni here.

“The responsibility of restoring, fixing and replacing the affected residential areas, we (federal government, state government and Petronas) will take full responsibility.

“With that, please do not worry, but it will take time,” he told reporters after a site visit here.

Anwar also said Petronas and if needed the federal government, will immediately provide a payment of RM5,000 to owners whose houses were completely damaged for temporary lodging expenses.

Burnt cars and houses are seen at Taman Harmoni in Putra Heights after the gas pipeline fire April 1, 2025. — Picture by Choo Choy May

Burnt cars and houses are seen at Taman Harmoni in Putra Heights after the gas pipeline fire April 1, 2025. — Picture by Choo Choy May

For those whose houses were affected, Anwar said a RM2,500 financial aid will be paid as well.

Anwar added that the federal government’s main priority was to ensure the safety of everyone involved, noting that rebuilding process of damaged homes might take up to a year or more.

He said preliminary discussions with the Housing and Local Government ministry, state government and Petronas have indicated that their houses will not be restored in a short time.

A view of the affected area at Taman Harmoni in Putra Heights after the gas pipeline fire April 1, 2025. — Picture by Choo Choy May

A view of the affected area at Taman Harmoni in Putra Heights after the gas pipeline fire April 1, 2025. — Picture by Choo Choy May

“Determining the cause requires a little time with a thorough investigation.

“So our utmost priority now is safety and so far, this seems to be under control.

“That’s why I chose to visit there myself to prove that it is safe,” he said.

He said the government’s next step is to hold a discussion with the various residential associations for suggestions on the way forward.

Burnt cars and houses are seen at Taman Harmoni in Putra Heights after the gas pipeline fire April 1, 2025. — Picture by Choo Choy May

Burnt cars and houses are seen at Taman Harmoni in Putra Heights after the gas pipeline fire April 1, 2025. — Picture by Choo Choy May

For the time being, Anwar said residents whose houses were affected are still not allowed to return home but assured that all government machinery will be mobilised for the clean-up effort.

“So right now, Petronas and the government team are discussing how we can take temporary but reasonable action,” Anwar said.

Scroll to Top